Thursday, November 18, 2010

Communicating Effectively

To prepare for this assignment, view the multimedia program "The Art of Effective Communication." In this program, you will observe a piece of communication in three different modalities: as written text, as audio, and as video. Pause after receiving the communication in each modality, and reflect upon what you interpret the message to mean. Think about the content and tone of the message. Record your interpretation of the message after receiving it in each modality. Then reflect upon the experience by considering the following:

How did your interpretation of the message change from one modality to the next?
What factors influenced how you perceived the message?
Which form of communication best conveyed the true meaning and intent of the message?
What are the implications of what you learned from this exercise for communicating effectively with members of a project team?

Post your interpretation of the message as it was delivered in each of the different modalities, pointing out what, if anything, changed about your interpretation from one modality to the next. Then share a synthesis of your thoughts regarding what this activity implies about communicating with members of a project team. What did you learn that will help you communicate more effectively with others in the future?

I have learned over the years privately and professionally to watch and observe different styles of communication using body language and voice tone to determine and decifile the message an invidual is trying to relay rather by email, v/m or face to face. By asking additional questions to gain insight, it very important to repeat the question for a clearer picture and to be on the same page. By repeating the information that was just stated. I can relate to the email, because yesterday I sent out a similiar email to different divisions who are currently late with their data, causing my report to be delayed. You have the opportunity to be tactful and word the email currently vs. face to face that may indeed send signals that you aren't necessarily trying to convey. The email was serious, but to the point. The voice mail explained how important the information was but not that it was urgent. Although, the face to face wasn't urgent, it was important for Mark to know that Jane made a special stop to come by his cubicle to receive the information she needed. It is important to "say what you mean and mean what you say" and rather you are giving someone advice or receiving information that you be precise and clear on instruction and write the details down to make references.

2 comments:

  1. Keren,

    If I am understanding you, which I am sure I am, I like your reminder to sit back, think about the wording of your communication, of any sort, and then write it or say it. Malu and Serena's blog-thread mentioned something similar.

    For my part I would suppose teaching is the same way. For instance, I went to a professional development training on Friday afternoon. One of my first grade team members used to be a reading coach. She's mentioned several times that she synthesizes lessons in the book to include memory devices - chants, acronyms, and other things. The trainer also mentioned that this is a good way to present information. I never learned that. I was of the old school - you learned addition facts by memorization, not by understanding what the concept is, so following your advice, and that of Serena and Malu, this is something I'll have to consider, regularly.

    All this is to say that when I am working as and IDT I need to take time to ensure that my messages are easily understood. One way is by filtering out my personal emotions.

    So much to learn.

    Did everyone get their reports in? What did you do?

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keren,

    In my study of this assignment I discovered its best to first say, Is it clear?: Ask yourself each time you communicate. Is the message I am delivering clear? Most confusion and frustration in the workplace is caused by failing to be specific. For example, you may tell a coworker that you need the report as soon as possible. In your mind that means that you will have it within two days. Your coworker might hear your statement as: "I can adjust the timeframe to fit my priority list." It would be better to state that you need the report by the end of the day on Friday.

    Crystal A.

    ReplyDelete